Saturday, August 18, 2012

Wk 3 Response to Mavy Torres' Blog post


Mavy's Original Post:

After reading the chapters for this week, I found Rule # 6 to be an interesting topic for discussion. I found it interesting because of the way it resonates about me, and how I take myself very seriously, to the point I have caused some disappointment in my outcomes. As time has gone by, I have slowly applied Rule # 6, and not taken myself so seriously, although I feel a ways away from really perfecting it. I don’t give myself room to accept making errors like on school assignments and work. I do give myself more tolerance to grow and explore with my family, reviewing my goals, working with art and doing community service.

It is important to provide oneself room for improvement throughout the various challenges we face in our lives. As we experience them, we will learn to not get mad over spilled milk; all it takes is to truly accept that errors do happen, not just understand it, and to be willing to learn from them. By permitting errors to occur, understanding becomes a vital part of growth, and we better learn and improve for the next time opportunity.

Furthermore, what I thought inspiring was Chapter five’s: Leading from any chair. I was impressed with the conductor giving the reins to others in order to make the orchestra successful. Delegating power to others is a scary concept because we naturally tend to maintain control. When we give others opportunities for leadership, they can share their vision and truly contribute to improving the music of life. I know from experience that delegating is a great way to give the opportunity for someone to learn to become leader. At times, it can be scary because the result will not necessarily be the way you wanted to go, however, it can be exciting to learn how they envision something new that you would not have thought about. This leads to my point, being careful not to micromanage people. The reason that people micromanage is because they want things only one certain way, their way, and will not give an individual any opportunity to take a different path for the similar or better result. We cannot be afraid to give opportunities of leadership, otherwise we limit the potential of those we are meant to serve.


Steve's Response:

Great comment Mavy. I agree that you have been too hard on yourself at some points in the past year, but you have always sought the advice of your peers, and you have always faced your fears and insecurities and triumphed over them. You are right to say that we all need to "be willing to learn" from our errors. I always tell my students that the point of doing homework is to learn, not what you know already, but what you don't know, so you can ask for more help before the next assessment. In other words, the point of homework is to learn from your mistakes.

Mavy, don't underestimate yourself. You have been a leader to the rest of us just as we have been leaders to you. You have led from your chair on many occasions, and you have done well because you were willing to listen, and you have always respected others as equals.

Most people do not know how jewelers can tell real diamonds from the best synthesized fake diamonds. Think about this. The best man-made diamonds are actually 100% flawless. Completely perfect in all respects. Real diamonds, even when considered to be "flawless," always have slight flaws in their crystal structure. The slight flaws cause the light to be reflected slightly askew which creates a brilliant array of bright colors that a "perfect" man-made diamond cannot imitate. Each truly perfect nature-made diamond has unique flaws that bring about the unique characteristics of the natural gem's brilliance. Aren't humans really like diamonds?

No comments:

Post a Comment