Thursday, August 16, 2012

Wk 3 - The Art of Possibility - Ch. 5-8

Ram Das - Be Here Now
Lama Foundation - New Mexico - 1971
from wikipedia.org




The more I read The Art of Possibility, the more it reminds me of Ram Das' 1971 spiritual guidance book "Be Here Now." This is especially true for Chapter 7, "The Way Things Are" which implores us to accept the world as it is now, in all its splendor and glory, with all its imperfections and human flaws. Chapter 7 is really about the practice of mindfulness - being present in the moment with out the "calculating self" getting in the way of possibility.  Be Here Now - Here Now Be - Now Be Here.

Reading Chapter 5, "Leading From Any Chair" made me think about the many times that my students taught me something, or led the class into a deep conversation that I had not planned.  Many times in our Wimba sessions we each take our turn leading and moving the conversations forward.  If we all remember that all humans are of equal worth, then the dichotomy between teacher and student begins to break down and unforeseen possibilities will arise.

Chapter 6 is my favorite chapter in the book so far.  The wonderful "Rule #6: Don't take yourself so goddamn seriously" is such a great piece of advice.  If it is true that "all is invented," then that includes the invented way in which we view our own selves.  If we are honest with our selves, we would see that on the grand scale of the Universe, our individual lives are meaningless and insignificant.  However, the same honesty can reveal that on a human life scale, each individual life is meaningful and full of possibilities.  We just need to "lighten up" to see these truths.

Finally, Chapter 8 implores us to give into our passions.  Allow the energy of your passions to guide your path through the Universe of possibilities.  Open your heart and allow the Universe to sing in the uniqueness of your inner voice.




5 comments:

  1. Steve,
    As always, I love your commentary. I really enjoyed chapter 6 of the book as well because it is so important to find the humor in work and in life. I thought it tied nicely with chapter 5 because 5 seemed to be more about recognizing the fact that leaders are only as good as the ones they lead. So often, leaders take themselves so bloody seriously that they forget about the other humans that put them there!
    I've never read that other book that you referenced, but I'm thinking of giving it a look. I like The Art of Possibility, but I can't say its my favorite type of a read. I tend to enjoy these stories, but have plenty of my own I suppose.
    Great commentary as always Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,
    All of the chapters this week came at a great moment since we will see them in application soon. On chapter 5, “Leading from an chair,” it describes one thing that this whole program has given us, a chance to do. This is why we have enjoyed this program, we have shared our experiences through different leadership role throughout the EMDT program. By having educators that are willing to listen and show that they will take our ideas to heart, I believe we will strengthen the learning environment. How different do you imagine it will be to have students feel like they’re part of a community and not just empty vessel that have nothing to share. Our paths and our students path will change as we create a new world of possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, I enjoyed your blog post on the Art of Possibility. I am also thrilled that we are able to understand one another on a totally different level. So far I have received nothing but sage advice from our readings. Each and every chapter has spoken something so deep and meaningful to me that it has brought tears to my eyes. I was watching this movie called Cowboys vs. Aliens and I was able to trace some bits of the movie to our reading. One of those points was being true to your central self (knowing and remembering your Self), because when you do you are able to find your way and understand your purpose for the journey. In the movie, the hero (played by Daniel Craig) was only able to remember the whereabouts of abducted townsfolk when he regains his memory with the help of the local tribe. It’s interesting to note that those portrayed in movies as one with the earth and nature are the ones who are able to help and heal others. It’s really easy to forget who you are, but it only takes a little nudge to get your thinking back in the right gear again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, I really enjoyed reading your take on this week’s reading, you not only brought up some great points, but also mentioned a book I will probably have to take a look at now. I think you had the same favorite spots in this reading as I did. The “Leading from any chair” point also made me think of the days that a student hits me with a question that’s off my planned topic, but leads to a meaningful class discussion, and how proud that moments can make you as a teacher. I can see where some of professors might have those moments during the wimba sessions with this group. I know Dr. Reo made mention of this more than once. I, too, also really enjoyed the Rule #6 chapter, and I think you made a great example of Zander’s thoughts with your idea that our lives are all meaningless and insignificant, yet full of meaning possibility all at once. I would say by Zander’s standards, based on the readings we’ve done thus far, you are well on your way to true growth and possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great overview and summary of the reading.

    ReplyDelete