Friday, August 10, 2012

Wk 2 Response to Angelo Pardo's Blog Post

Original Post - Angelo Pardo

Okay, I admit that I am not too thrilled with reading assignments, especially when they are directly related with education, design, or technology. It was actually quite refreshing to read “The Art of Possibility” by Benjamin and Rosamund Stone Zander.

I was immediately drawn into the reading when I read the line that ‘everything is invented’ in Chapter 1. The idea encouraged me to create my own game, with rules and limitations, and not play the games of others, especially those games that encouraged a mind of self-defeat. Chapter 2 explained the universe of possibility and how everything in the universe is in our grasp. Once we stop thinking in measurements and start thinking in possibilities, we unlock a great deal of opportunity and potential that has always been in front of us the whole time. Chapter 3, one of my favorite chapters, introduced the idea of ‘Giving the A’. When Benjamin decided that standards were a deterrent to learning and creativity, he awarded his students A’s at the beginning of his course, but only if they wrote a letter in the past tense stating how they deserved the grade. Giving the A puts everyone, whether student or teacher, father or daughter, in the same place of understanding, void of judgment or inhibitions. Chapter 4 really opened my eyes to being a contribution to others, even if it’s just to one person in the room. It really is a paradigm shift in my own thoughts and actions, and instead of the victim mentality I now have one of gratitude and servitude. Benjamin proved that even as a contribution to others, both sides of the party still learn a great deal from each other, and the time spent together becomes an enjoyable and productive experience.

I am enjoying the Art of Possibility so far, in so much that what I have read just from the first four chapters has been a very emotional and touching experience. Looking back, I realized that while I read those chapters, my eyes were watery and I could not help but think about how I would start treating people, especially those closest to me, from now on.


My Response:


Hey Alf,

I have to admit, I really enjoyed this weeks readings as well. The Zander's book really made me think about all sorts of things regarding the nature of life, and the meaning of our existence.  I have always believed that people create their own reality; and that the way in which we view our experiences here on Earth influences the course our lives take in the short time we have on this planet.  I have always been attracted to the peacemakers throughout history - Ghandi, Bhudda, Jesus, Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, etc... These are people that chose a life of self-sacrifice to contribute to the betterment of our world and care for those less fortunate.  I agree with the Zander's that if "everything is invented," why not invent a better world for ourselves and those around us?  There is so much danger in the natural world that we can not avoid. Innocent lives are lost to fire, Earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, heat waves, animal attacks, etc....Why do humans choose to add so many man-made disasters such as war, violent crime, rape, arson, etc...to the danger? 


No comments:

Post a Comment