Thursday, August 9, 2012

Wk 2: The Art of Possibility - Part 2


The Dead Sea - by Jimmyweee


Mt. Everest - by Phillip Milne

Why Teach?


After making the case that “it‘s all invented,” where “it” refers to our perception of reality, the Zanders invite us to re-define ourselves in the “University of Possibility.” Chapter 2 urges us to look beyond the confines of the “world of measurement” to stand “in the great space of possibility in a posture of openness, with an unfettered imagination for what can be.” Chapter 3 allows us the privilege of giving ourselves an “A.”  Release our selves from the imprisonment of measured standards. Become the self that you see earns that “A” grade.  This seems to be a great way to utilize the power of visualization, and improve ones ability to succeed.

At the age of 13 I traveled to Israel and visited The Dead Sea, the lowest point on the Earth’s surface.  After that experience, I saw a documentary about Sir Edmund Hillary’s ascent to the top of Mt. Everest, the highest point on the Earth’s surface. It became a goal of mine to get as close as possible to Mt. Everest, and I achieved this goal in 1987 when I trekked 350 miles through the country of Nepal, reaching the Mt. Everest expedition base camp, and then hiking up to the peak across from Mt. Everest known as Kala Pataar.  I had now witnessed the majesty of the mountain the Nepalese call Sagamartha (Mt. Everest) with my own eyes.

The Everest trek fulfilled my dreams of seeing the highest and lowest points on Earth.  Metaphysically, I had experienced the highs and lows of the Earth, and a great deal of the in-betweens as well.  When I returned home, I became depressed.  I felt (mistakingly) that there was nothing else to learn.  I don’t know why, but I pulled myself together with a single thought.  I had seen the highs and lows of life; it was to time to give back. It was time to contribute. It was time to teach.  Reading Chapter 4 of the Zander’s book brought this memory back to my life.

3 comments:

  1. I agree Steve visualization and its ability to expand our lives through experience and thought is a powerful resource for improving success. I concur that the notion of thinking something is somewhat separate from experiencing something. It is a wonderful reflection of life to reach an acceptance that all has not been learned nor has it be experienced. However, through each act of giving we are in return receiving an education or an experience that leaves us forever different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,
    This is an awesome post. "...unfettered imagination for what can be..."
    That could and should be the driving force behind any teacher. I absolutely love to see what my students come up with - the different ideas they have about how to approach sociological or economic dilemmas. I tell them all the time that they are far smarter than I am! (Some of them agree to quickly though...)
    I appreciate you sharing your story about visiting the highest and lowest places on earth. I think that was a very cool analogy and I'm glad it led you into teaching! Even though you've seen the top and bottom of the world - there's a whole lot of good stuff right here in the middle!
    Thank you for your reply to my post too!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting reflection on the reading. I can identify with the need to give back as part of completing the cycle of what good things I've received in my life. It's an important part of why I teach as well.

    ReplyDelete